Job Opening: Roofer
Covers roofs with roofing materials other than sheet metal, such as composition shingles or sheets, wood shingles, or asphalt and gravel, to waterproof roofs by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Cuts roofing paper to size and nails or staples it to roof in overlapping strips to form base for roofing materials.
• Aligns roofing material with edge of roof, and overlaps successive layers, gauging distance of overlap with chalk line, gauge on shingling hatchet, or by lines on shingles.
• Fastens composition shingles or sheets to roof with asphalt, cement, or nails.
• Punches holes in slate, tile, terra cotta, or wooden shingles.
• Cuts strips of flashing and fits them into angles formed by walls, vents, and intersecting roof surfaces.
• Mops or pours hot asphalt or tar onto roof base when applying asphalt or tar and gravel to roof.
• Applies alternate layers of hot asphalt or tar and roofing paper until roof covering is as specified.
• Applies gravel or pebbles over top layer.
• Constructs and attaches prefabricated roof sections to rafters.
• Attaches shingles to exterior walls and applies roofing paper and tar to shower pans, decks, and promenades to waterproof surfaces.